Hopewell Public Library is the cultural heart of the community. Through its collections, programs, and services, the Library is a welcoming center for information, discovery, enrichment, and life-long learning for people of all ages.
March 17, 1890: Hopewell National Bank is founded at 13 East
the future site of the Hopewell Public Library.
March 14, 1914: Hopewell Public Library is founded at Broad
and Mercer Streets,
formerly a harness shop, now Vincenzo's Pizza.
1915: Hopewell Post Office replaces Hopewell National Bank at 13 East Broad Street.
Spring, 1915: Children help Hopewell Public Library move to "Fireman's Hall" on Seminary Avenue by carrying books in wagons.
1922-1923: Hopewell Public Library tries unsuccessfully to
buy 13 East Broad Street.
1924: Hopewell Public Library moves to 28 East Broad Street
shares building with the Hopewell Museum.
1965: Hopewell Public Library moves to its current location
in the old Hopewell National Bank building.
2009: Hopewell Public Library
"automates". Patrons are issued HPL
bar coded library cards and all items now have HPL bar coded
labels. An online Catalog
replaced the physical Card
Catalog. The online Catalog can be searched by Patrons in the
Library and from home. We believe, HPL is the last
Public Library in New Jersey to automate; but, one of
the first in New Jersey to use an Integrated Library System that is
"open source" (Koha) --- a new direction for
Extra material: Hopewell history to 1921
taken from "Help Hopewell Honor Her Heroes"
published for Library Week May 21-30, 1921.
History of Hopewell to 1921 (.pdf)